Families in Nature works tirelessly to break down barriers to spending time in nature. It is our hope that creating an online version of our Guide Development Program will make our training accessible to geographically diverse participants as well as parents and teachers who cannot attend a full weekend program in person. We created our online course in response to COVID-19 because outdoors is the safest place to be during this pandemic, and nature can help us all stay healthy mentally and physically during this challenging time. We hope to support teachers moving their classrooms outdoors and individuals or parents get their families, pods, programs and communities out into nature safely during this pandemic.
The Online Guide Development Program includes:
- Information and inspiration to take students and families out into nature, including why people need nature, how to teach hope and foster a love of nature, how to plan successful adventures, risk management and keeping families safe outdoors, the benefits of teaching science outside, discovery-style outdoor teaching methods, outdoor skill development, raising up the next generation of conservation leaders, and more.
- Training on and access to FIN’s exclusive Ecologist School Program, which includes access to the FIN Guide version of our original Guidebook before it is published. The Ecologist School Guidebook contains an informal science curriculum of more than 1,000 hands-on S.T.E.A.M lessons in 16 branches of science relevant to ecology, with which participants can earn badges and even certification as a Junior Ecologist.
- Inspiration and knowledge to help you create your own Nature Community.
- An introduction to FIN’s other programs, such as our Campus Campout program and our Nature Immersion travel program.
- Inclusion in FIN’s community of practice to enable you to share experiences and learn from our community of Guides.
Our next Online Guide Development will be offered
November 9th and 11th from 7-9pm CDT.
FIN staff will host 2 interactive, 2 hour meetings online. You can register here.
There will also be approximately 2 hours of reading and reflection to prepare for the training that will be sent out to all participants one week before the course.
How and How Much?
To participate in our Guide Development Program online, register for the training on our website calendar. If the dates of our next class don’t work for your schedule, check back because we are always adding future classes to our calendar.
To help us meet your specific needs during the course, please complete our online registration form.
During COVID-19, as part of our effort to help teachers nation-wide move their classrooms outside where teaching is safer for both teachers and students we would like to offer a 25% discount on our online Guide Development and Teacher Training program fees. Normally, the cost of our online Guide Training will be $200 per person.
Join our online Guide Development course for $150 per person during the 2020/2021 school year, and now into Fall 2021 to continue our support of parents and teachers during the pandemic.
Full and partial scholarships are available. Register here.
Our scholarships are offered thanks to our generous donors and sponsors!
For questions or additional information, please contact: Jordan Joly, FIN’s Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.